Repair, Restoration & Preservation
of the Tiffany Studios Entrance Canopy
Evergreen House Museum & Library
The magnificent Evergreen House was home to the the Garrett family, owners of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The north entrance canopy was made by Tiffany Studios about 1905.
About 50 years later, the original leaded glass was replaced with more weather resistant white acrylic panels. After another 60 years, the entire canopy showed effects of exposure and accumulated minor damages.
Now part of the Johns Hopkins Museums system, Evergreen's canopy was examined for repair, restoration and historic preservation in 2017. Several serious conditions were identified including hardened, cracked and lost caulk around the acrylic panels, detached flashing, and a bent structural frame.
The canopy would also need a ventilating cap to prevent wind damage in an extreme weather event. All bent and damaged parts were realigned and repaired, acrylic panels were cleaned and polished, all old caulk was removed and replaced with EPDM weatherproofing gaskets, and the restoration and preservation treatment was completed in November, 2018.